Bike Hire on the Isle of Barra
Hire bikes, The Hebridean Way & advice for families & individuals to explore our island paradise
Covid 19 Update
There is no doubt about it ... this coronavirus pandemic has literally turned our world upside down. It has affected every aspect of our life and put all our lives on hold. The Government advice Barra Bike Hire is currently working on is the that the islands are now OPEN and responsible visitors (family, friends, new visitors and indeed anyone wanting to visit this beautiful island chain) are welcome. We continue to monitor the on-going situation and adhere to Scottish Government advise. We are OPEN FOR BIKE HIRE both on the island and for the Hebridean Way.
If you have any queries or questions please contact us.
STAY SAFE AND HOPE TO SEE YOU AS SOON. Tony [Barra Bike Hire].
For further updates feel free to e-mail Tony on the e-mail address in the header or email@example.com or call me for a chat on 07876 402842. If you don't manage to get through please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. All the best and stay safe.
Welcome to Barra Bike Hire
Barra Bike Hire is based on the beautiful Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides - the 'Islands on the Edge'. It is a truly amazing place and we count ourselves very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place. Each and every day one feels to be close to, part of and surrounded on all sides by the landscape... a landscape of hills and moorland, sea and surf and some of the most fantastic beaches in the world. The coastal ring road around Barra is a relatively quiet single carriageway - with passing places - and is generally ideal for cycling. There are also a number of spur roads that give you access to many more wonderfully secluded spots to discover and explore. A quality hire bike from Barra Bike Hire is, in our opinion, easily the best way to explore our island ‘Barradise’. We pride ourselves on providing first class service from point of contact right through to getting you on the road on your bike. Don't just take our word for how good our service is .... see what past clients have said on Trip Advisor. Read more about the Isle of Barra »
Bikes for Hire
1. Local bikes [..for use on Barra & Eriskay/South Uist]. We have a varied fleet of well maintained bikes for hire locally. We cater for individuals, families, and groups. Bikes can be hired for a 2hr 'blast', a half day (up to 4hrs) or a full day (from dawn til dusk). Multi-day rentals also available and the longer you hire a bike the cheaper it gets. We also offer a competitively priced bike delivery and collection service anywhere on the island ....but only for full day and multi-day hires. [Hire rates for adult bikes (2020 season - £18.00/day & £12.00/day each day thereafter.]
2. Hebridean Way Touring/Hybrid bikes [Barra - Stornoway]. These are a fleet of high spec bikes prepared with the Hebridean Way in mind. They come with pannier racks (rear and front racks available), mudguards, hydraulic disc brakes, multi-tool, puncture repair items, spare tubes, pump, lights & a lock. Once you have completed the ride simply leave the bike at our drop off point in Stornoway and we will take care of recovery to Barra. Pannier bags and helmets are also available for hire as extras. [Hire rates for adult bikes - £30.00/day for the first two days; £20.00/day for days 3 & 4 abd then £15.00 each day thereafter. One-way hire surcharge -£35.00/bike covers bike recovery or £40.00/bike for hire periods of 4 days or less].
For more Hebridean Way planning & logistics information see our Blog Page.
3. Electric Pedal Assisted bikes for use locally on Barra or on the Hebridean Way. These are high spec e-bikes that are available all year round and will definitely get you round everything on Barra and beyond without having to get off and push up any of the hills!!!!. If you have never tried an e-bike you will be amazed at just how easy they are to use and at how effective they are!! The e-bike mantra is .... "further, faster and for longer". [Hire rates for adult bikes - £30.00/day for the first day & £22.00/day for each day thereafter for "local use". Different rates apply for Hebridean Way use. Please ask for details.]
THE HEBRIDEAN WAY.
As well as hire bikes for use on Barra and the local surrounding islands we also have expedition prepared bikes for use on the Hebridean Way. Being based at the southern end of the 185-mile (292km) cycle route known as the Hebridean Way we are well placed to offer specialist bike hire, support and guidance to cyclists visiting the Outer Hebrides. We will set you up with your hire bikes on Barra and arrange for you to drop them off in Stornoway. You choose how many days you want the bike for. There is a 'one-way' surchage for the service which covers the cost of sending the bikes all the way back to Barra. Do please call or email if we can help in any way with bike hire, accessories hire (helmets; pannier bags) or just assisting with the logistics. For more Hebridean Way logistics information see our Blog Page.
Why hire a bike for the Hebridean Way from Barra Bike Hire?
1. We are based on Barra at the start of the ride which means we can meet & greet you in person and ensure you are fully set up to get the best out of your hire bike before you set off.
2. We have top quality new and nearly new bikes that are fully prepared for long distance challenge rides..... and our personal service is second to none - See us on Trip Advisor.
3. We provide a back up and emergency support infrastructure all the way up the islands.
4. We are the most competetively priced hire provider!! - The cheapest hire fees on the market when you compare the full service provision like for like = best value for money. E-mail us for a quote today.
Bike Repairs, Servicing
Barra Bike HIre also offer a bike repair & maintenance service. We keep a limited stock of spare parts to keep bikes on the road. If needed we can order in parts however it can take a day or two to arrive by post depending on what is needed. We are able to undertake emergency call outs to anywhere on the island for our own hire fleet and also visiting cyclists and their bikes. Contact us of 07931 083856 or 07876 402842. More repairs & servicing »
We are a small, friendly, family run business. We originally set up in 2013 / 2014 when we invested in half a dozen rental bikes to provide for guests staying in our self-catering apartment and the self-catering holiday let 'across the road'. At that time bike hire on Barra was difficult to source and at times simply not available. Since then, due to growing demand, we invested in more bicycles and now have a varied and diverse rental fleet to cater for most needs. We have conventional bikes - hybrid, road and mountain bikes, children's bikes, specialist Hebridean Way expedition bikes and also E-bikes. Read more about us »
Our Cycle Hire Prices
|Up to 2hrs||Up to 4hrs (half day)||Full Day (4hrs+ - nightfall) 1||Multi-Day after day 1 (per day) 2|
|Child's Bike / Youth Bike||£4.00||£6.00||£10.00||£6.00|
1 Bikes to be returned before nightfall on day of hire.
2 Bike hired for a 6 or 7 day period are charged £10.00/day for each day of hire.
Call us on +44 (0) 7876 402842 or email .