Bike Hire on the Isle of Barra
Hire bikes, The Hebridean Way & advice for families & individuals to explore our island paradise
2022 - Early Season Update
We are now well into January and we are getting daily enquiries about bike hire for the up-coming summer season. Especially Hebridean Way Hires. On the island itself we seem to be blasted every week at the moment with storms and strong winds. We even had 'Storm Barra' move through recently. Needless to say we are still standing. As you can guess there isn't much bike hire at the moment. It is expected to be all quiet through February and March but it all starts to 'kick-off' in April. As already mentioned early indications from online bookings are that is is going to be a very busy 2022. Online bike hire enquiries and advanced bookings already in the diary are pointing to 2022 probably being our busiest season yet ........ !!!
If you have any plans to visit Barra in 2022 or take on the Hebridean Way then now is the time to start formulating your plans. If you have any queries or questions about bike hire for Barra & Vatersay or for the Hebridean Way then please feel free to contact us.
STAY SAFE AND PERHAPS SEE YOU SOON. Tony [Barra Bike Hire].
For further updates or questions feel free to e-mail Tony on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call me for a chat on 07876 402842. If you don't manage to get through please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
We often have problems with mobile phone connections in the winter months - possibly due to high winds and adverse weather conditions resulting in mast problems and interrupted mobile phone signals. The best and most reliable means of getting through is a by means of a WhatsApp message on 07876 402842. [Tony Flanagan]
Welcome to Barra Bike Hire
Barra Bike Hire is based on the beautiful Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides - the 'Islands on the Edge'. It is a truly amazing place and we count ourselves very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place. Each and every day one feels to be close to, part of and surrounded on all sides by the landscape... a landscape of hills and moorland, sea and surf and some of the most fantastic beaches in the world. The coastal ring road around Barra is a relatively quiet single carriageway - with passing places - and is generally ideal for cycling. There are also a number of spur roads that give you access to many more wonderfully secluded spots to discover and explore. A quality hire bike from Barra Bike Hire is, in our opinion, easily the best way to explore our island ‘Barradise’. We pride ourselves on providing first class service from point of contact right through to getting you on the road on your bike. Don't just take our word for how good our service is .... see what past clients have said on Trip Advisor. Read more about the Isle of Barra »
Bikes for Hire
1. Local bikes [..for use on Barra & Eriskay/South Uist]. We have a varied fleet of well maintained bikes for hire locally. We cater for individuals, families, and groups. Bikes can be hired for half days (up to 4hrs) or a full day (available from 8.00am til 7.00pm). Multi-day rentals are also available and the more days you hire a bike the cheaper it gets. We also offer a competitively priced bike delivery and collection service anywhere on the island ....but only for full day and multi-day hires.
Hire rates for adult bikes (2022 season) - these fees apply to bike hires for day and multi day use on Barra & Vatersay & for day excursions on Eriskay & South Uist.
Standard bikes: (Hybrid or MTB) £18.00/day 1 - £14.00/day 2 & then £10.00/day for each day thereafter. E-bikes: £34.00/day 1 - £26.00/day 2 & then £20.00/day for each day thereafter.
2. Hebridean Way Touring/Hybrid bikes [Barra - Stornoway]. These are a fleet of higher 'spec' bikes prepared with the Hebridean Way in mind. They come with pannier racks (rear and front racks available), mudguards, hydraulic disc brakes, multi-tool, puncture repair items, spare tubes, pump, lights & a lock. Once you have completed the ride you can leave the bikes at our drop off point in Stornoway and we will take care of recovering them back to Barra. Pannier bags and helmets are also available for hire as extras. [Hire rates for adult bikes - Standard touring bikes £30.00/day for the first 3 days; £20.00/day for days 4 & 5 and then £15.00/bike for each day thereafter. E-touring bikes £35.00/day for the first 3 days; £30.00/day on day 4 & 5 and then £25.00/bike for each day thereafter.
3. Electric Pedal Assisted bikes for use locally on Barra or on the Hebridean Way. These are high spec e-bikes that are available all year round and will definitely get you round everything on Barra and beyond without having to get off and push up any of the hills!!!!. If you have never tried an e-bike you will be amazed at just how easy they are to use and at how effective they are!! The e-bike mantra is .... "further, faster and for longer". [Hire rates, once again, for adult bikes for use on Barra & Vatersay - £34.00/day for day 1 & then £26.00/day for day 2 and then £20.00/day each day thereafter for "local use". Note: Different rates apply for Hebridean Way use. Please ask for details.]
Note: Due to legal requirements we are unable to hire e-bike to anyone under 14 years of age.
THE HEBRIDEAN WAY.
As well as hire bikes for use on Barra and the local surrounding islands we also have expedition prepared bikes for use on the Hebridean Way. Being based at the southern end of the 185-mile (292km) cycle route known as the Hebridean Way we are well placed to offer specialist bike hire, support and guidance to cyclists visiting the Outer Hebrides. We will set you up with your hire bikes on Barra and arrange for you to drop them off in Stornoway. You choose how many days you want the bike for. There is a 'one-way' surchage for the service which covers the cost of sending the bikes all the way back to Barra. Do please call or email if we can help in any way with bike hire, accessories hire (helmets; pannier bags) or just assisting with the logistics. For more Hebridean Way logistics information see our Blog Page.
Why hire a bike for the Hebridean Way from Barra Bike Hire?
1. We are based on Barra at the start of the ride which means we can meet & greet you in person and ensure you are fully set up to get the best out of your hire bike before you set off.
2. We have top quality new and nearly new bikes that are fully prepared for long distance challenge rides..... and our personal service is second to none - See us on Trip Advisor.
3. We provide a back up and emergency support infrastructure all the way up the islands.
4. We are the most competetively priced hire provider!! - The cheapest hire fees on the market when you compare the full service provision like for like = best value for money. E-mail us for a quote today.
Bike Repairs, Servicing
Barra Bike HIre also offer a bike repair & maintenance service. We keep a limited stock of spare parts to keep bikes on the road. If needed we can order in parts however it can take a day or two to arrive by post depending on what is needed. We are able to undertake emergency call outs to anywhere on the island for our own hire fleet and also visiting cyclists and their bikes. Contact us on 07876 402842. WhatsApp messeging is usually the most reliable way of getting through. More repairs & servicing »
We are a small, friendly, family run business. We originally set up in 2013 / 2014 when we invested in half a dozen rental bikes to provide for guests staying in our self-catering apartment and the self-catering holiday let 'across the road'. At that time bike hire on Barra was difficult to source and at times simply not available. Since then, due to growing demand, we invested in more bicycles and now have a varied and diverse rental fleet to cater for most needs. We have conventional bikes - hybrid, road and mountain bikes, children's bikes, specialist Hebridean Way expedition bikes and also E-bikes. Read more about us »
Our Cycle Hire Prices
|Up to 4hrs (half day)||Full Day (4hrs+ - 6.30pm) 1||Multi-Day after day 1 (per day) 2|
|Child's Bike / Youth Bike||£10.00||£14.00||£10.00|
1 Bikes to be returned by 6.30pm on day of hire or on the last day of hire for multi day hires..
2 An adult bike hired for 3 days or more the charge is £10.00/day for day 3 and each day thereafter. E-bikes on day 3 are charged out at £20.00/day and each day thereafter.
Call us on +44 (0) 7876 402842 or email .